Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I'm Back Bitches - O'Shaughnessy & Young The Giant

For the past year and a half I've been abysmally negligent in posting on this blog. I know all of my 3 followers (thank you Mom, Dad & Memama) have been left high and dry and feeling a little empty. And for that I have no excuses other than to say that I've been extremely drunk for the better part of the last 18 months. You try remembering a multi-syllabic/numeric password while hopped up on Absinthe.  Much less your childhood cat's first name.  It was Fluffy.

Anywhoo....here is the deal...each and every week I'm going to post a wine & song that I like. You may know them. You may not. Hopefully I may introduce you to something new. You may not give a rat's ass.  And that's ok too.  I don't mind being sad.  So here are my favorites for this week:


2008 O'Shaughnessy "Howell Mountain" Cabernet Sauvignon

This Napa Valley Cab ain't cheap retailing at around $75 per bottle.  But rest easy.  I'm not a pompous prick who is only gonna post  expensive wines.  Let's be clear...I didn't pay for this muthaf**ker.  My buddy Vern did.  I was simply leaching off his goods.  Nonetheless, had it Saturday night and it was spectacular.  After aerating it through his Vinturi (not a euphemism) we kicked back and enjoyed while our heathen buddy Matt opted for this sixth Tecate.  Super complex (it's 81% Cabernet with the other 19% being comprised of Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Carmenere & Cab Franc) and finely balanced with the perfect amount of oak.  Very intense with bold fruit yet soft as a baby's butt.  It was well worth Vern's money.

"Cough Syrup" by Young The Giant

No the wine did not remind me of drinking cough syrup.  This California band's eponymous debut album is full of jams.  "Cough Syrup" in particular quasi-matches the O'Shaugnessy.  It's soft and melodic yet has very bold and intense moments that all run together to form something special.   Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment